The process of making this project was actually kind of fun. It was fairly easy and low maintenance to do. IT was broad and open ended and allowed a lot of room for artistic leeway. I find it a little refreshing to have just a good old fashioned art project to make, experiment with and just kind of have fun with. The objective was only to create the three elements and experiment with some different mediums of film. Now granted, as I think about with almost everything I do, I wonder how this could make me a better filmmaker. It was and interesting experience perhaps seeing the paint and animations over the premade film. It could be an interesting effect to somehow recreate digitally. I felt like I had seen something similar to this in a horror movie or some kind of horror movie spoof.
The animation was easily the most tedious and frustrating part since, whatever symbol I settled on, was stuck with it for the duration of that 100 frames. I started with a little sail boat because I figured it would be simple enough, but eventually I had to transition it out and go to a bird for simplicity’s sake. The sailboat was interesting for a while in trying to animate it to be rocking back and forth, but it eventually got repetitive and tedious by frame 25, so I moved a bird in to flap its wings by the 60th frame or so.
The last thing that was really interesting was using the different materials to make see what the effect was. My partner and I found that using oil really helped to make the water element feel more liquid-y and bubbly. This project was pretty fun, and an interesting chance to use film as a medium
P.S. I hope the title made you giggle